It's always been hard to get into the advertising industry. I can only imagine that at financially diabolical times like this, it's even harder, at least it certainly seems that way from a lot of the students that i talk/tweet with. Recently we've been trialling Mini Planning Placements (putting a capital letter in front of the words make it feel more official...) at VCCP. The thinking behind these were that Creative Teams often get their foot in the door through work placements - having the opportunity to work on live briefs gives people a unique opportunity to gain experience and confidence - so maybe these could work for Planners or wanna-be Planners?
We have a third Planning placement starting on Monday and we have had 2 previously - one worked on the London 2012 Mascot pitch alongside me, the other did a a ton of varied stuff but mainly related to Social Media and strategy.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Intelligent, imaginative and articulate individuals with a thirst for understanding "stuff"
- Someone who finds something interesting in every single section of the Sunday papers regardless of whether they're bothered about Motoring or Personal Finance
- A self-starter, someone who is happy to be given guidance and direction but then just enjoys getting on with the task in hand
- Someone who totally "gets" and is immersed in Digital and Social Media
THIS IS NOT:
- A guarantee of a full-time Planning position with us (being honest, we are not looking for Planners at the moment)
- A placement that will make you rich (though we do pay and try not to take the piss)
- A way of getting unique hands-on planning experience on brands such as o2, Compare The Market/Meerkat, COI, London 2012, Unilever and many more
- An opportunity to put theory into practice
- A chance to step up and be treated as a proper member of the brand team from the moment you walk in
If this sounds interesting, could you leave a comment here or email me on AmeliaT@VCCP.com
If you think it might be of interest to someone you know could you pass on this link.
Also happy to put you in touch with the guys that have been on Planning placements with us already